SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Fluid simulation specialist and Realflow expert.
- Highly experienced compositor comfortable in multiple software packages, including Fusion (expert), Nuke, and Shake (proficient).
- 3D animator and modeler, with expertise in Maya, Lightwave, FPrime, and Mental Ray, and familiarity with XSI.
- Matchmover, with experience in MatchMover and SynthEyes.
- Digital artist, with experience in PhotoShop, Stitcher, Image Modeler, Cinepaint, and Elastic Reality.
- Fabricator of physical effects such as blood, debris and pyro, with experience in MIG welding, sculpting and casting, and carpentry.
- Set/scene designer.
- Puppeteer and puppet builder.
- Creator of special makeup effects.
- Motion capture mime.
- Transmedia producer.
- Construct, install, license, network and use Windows, Irix, Linux and MacOSX systems.
- Manage and maintain a network of more than 25 workstations and a 100-processor renderfarm.
- Develop custom database frontends for Filemaker Pro/Server and MySQL.
- Maintain more than 20 terabytes of clustered storage, including Isilon and OpenSource Gluster systems.
- Troubleshoot technical difficulties with hardware and software, communicate with software developers, and provide technical support for visual effects artists.
- Program motion control systems and CNC Robotics.
- Program Z80 microcontrollers. Currently learning Arduino.
- VR and AR research utilizing ARToolkit.
- Supervise and manage multiple teams of five to ten compositors, 3D artists, matchmovers, and/or fluid simulation experts for motion picture and television projects.
- Develop pipeline and workflow solutions to streamline the creation of visual effects, from pre-visualization through the final render.
- Senior Artist at INHANCE DIGITAL, Hollywood, CA. 2010 – Present
- Transmedia Producer at NEW DEAL STUDIOS, Los Angeles, CA. 2010-Present
- Realflow Specialist at FUSION CI STUDIO, Santa Monica, CA. 2009 – Present
- Demonstration Artist at EYEON, SILICON GRAIL/RFX, CHYRON, SILICON GRAPHICS, et al. 1997 – Present
- Visual Effects Technical Supervisor at FLASH FILM WORKS, Los Angeles, CA. 1996 – Present
- Co-Founder and Chief Executive Officer at nEO-sURREALIST sYSTEMS, iNC. Los Angeles, CA. 1994 – Present
- Co-Chair, Technology Committee
- Lead, Stereo3D WorkGroup, Interoperability WorkGroup, Transmedia WorkGroup
- Activision/VES Think Tank: The Relationship Between VFX Technologies and Video Game Production
- Contributor, VES Handbook of Visual Effects: Industry Standard VFX Practices and Procedures. Author of “Other Workflow Considerations” chapters on Virtual Studio Technology and Infrastructure.
- Technical Blogger, VES Blog.
- The Pacific. Academy of Television Arts & Sciences (Emmy) Award for Outstanding Visual Effects for a Miniseries, Movie or a Special; Visual Effects Society Awards for Outstanding Compositing in a Broadcast Program or Commercial and Outstanding Visual Effects in a Broadcast Miniseries, Movie or Special.
- The Last Samurai. Visual Effects Society Award for Best Supporting Visual Effects in a Motion Picture.
- “Minor Setbacks,” part of OnStar’s series of Batman commercials. AME International Gold AME Award for Best Visual Effects in an advertising campaign.
CONTINUING PROFESSIONAL EDUCATION
- Project Management
UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS, Champaign-Urbana, IL
- Bachelor of Fine Arts, Theatre – Acting and Directing. 1993. Actor’s Studio. Minor in Cinematography.
- Master of Arts, Theatre History. 1995. Double emphasis on the technical history of the theatre and on shamanic ritual performance in pre-agrarian societies. Research in early VR applications with emphasis on performance.
OTHER INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES
- Performer, San Francisco Fringe Festival.
- Member, Transmedia-LA; Persistent and Environmental Gaming Group (PEG-LA); Machine Project, a Los Angeles-based hacker space/art gallery
- Co-Founder, Southern California chapter of Dorkbot, a collective of artists (sound/image/movement/whatever), designers, engineers, students and other interested parties involved in the creation of electronic art (in the broadest sense of the term).
- Recommended Actor-Combatant, Society of American Fight Directors (rapier and dagger, quarterstaff, hand to hand, court sword, Japanese katana).
- One of only twenty foreign actors to have performed Kabuki theater and dance in its native homeland of Japan.
- Volunteer, Maker Faire for The Long Now Foundation’s Clock of the Long Now, 2009 – Present; Because We Can’s Art Golf installation, 2009.
- Creator, Saucy Tales
- Participant, The Talking Dead
- Host and Co-developer of the Linux Movies Group, a discussion group devoted to Cinepaint, formerly known as FilmGIMP, the first 32-bit floating point paint package.